Friday, October 16, 2009

The Maturation of J Reed: Vol. 16

Going into the last months of high school was difficult knowing I hadn't signed with a major college. In early May, it was down to two schools for me. Blair Academy and Fort Scott Community College.

Blair Academy was a post graduate high school in Blair, New Jersey. I knew that if I wanted to show Pitt I could still play, then I had to go to a place where I would be close to them, and I had to play and play well. This was a little unorthodox for someone in my position. I was already a qualifier in my Junior year of high school with a 3.0 gpa and over 1000 on the SAT's, but I figured if I went to this school for at least a semester just to play football, then I would have a shot at getting recruited again.
I sent my film to Blair and they were excited to get a player such as myself interested in their program. As soon as he saw the film he gave a critique and requested that I visit the campus immediately. I was happy to be shown such interest seeing as how much recruitment turned from a dream to a nightmare. I also knew that this could set me up to gain interest from other schools after I completed my time there.

Fort Scott Community College was located in Fort Scott, Kansas, about 3.5 hrs. away from Kansas City, Missouri. I was surprised when the coach came to my high school and asked to see me. At the time, I didn't realize that community colleges had on campus housing, let alone gave scholarships. So when he asked me if I wanted to come to Kansas I was shocked. At the time, one of the schools that were up and coming in college football was Kansas State. So I thought that this could present an opportunity to garner the interest of their recruiters.

In the end, I picked Fort Scott. With all the opportunities that I had come my way, I thought that this would be the best one. It's a shame that I was totally wrong...

No comments: