Sunday, November 16, 2008

Right Decision?

To start off this post I want to again thank the few people who take the time to read what goes on in my head. I’m trying to mature as a writer so I can progress to writing books, plays, movies, etc. Amazing for a kid with a DCPS education huh? Well enough with you all patting yourselves on the back for making me feel good, let me get on with “My Thoughts”.

I’m pretty sure by now most of you know (via facebook and word of mouth) that I have a new job. Yeah, Yeah I’m proud of that accomplishment myself. I have been working at Howard University’s Middle School of Mathematics and Science for the past few months and I must say I have been working at a bargain. I mean the price that I was being paid was the equivalent to getting a dime sack for about $3.00. Oh you don’t smoke? Well how about a bottle of goose for $10.00? Extremely cheap huh? Well that’s what I was relegated to. So when I got the email from the principal at Shepherd Elementary School telling me that my name was being sent to Human Resources for employment I was ecstatic. There is a lot of satisfaction in knowing that your work is valued through compensation. Nobody wants to feel under appreciated and under valued. So in about a week or so I will be off to my new job with new responsibilities and new experiences. You would think with this great news I would be fulfilled? Not so much.

I was having a conversation with one of my co-workers the other day letting them know about my climb up the latter of success and wages. After she congratulated me, she asked, “How did the kids take it?” I told her that I hadn’t told them yet and she gave me one of the cruelest looks that I’ve ever seen. Her look chilled me because I already knew what the problem was. I probably should’ve told them sooner to soften the blow. But I had been going back and forth over when the right time would be to drop bomb on them. I decided that I should wait until I had a day or two left so I wouldn’t have to see those long faces for long.

So here I am now. After the conversation with my co-worker I’ve been walking around feeling a little less than pleased with myself. In all of my excitement I never stopped to think about how the news of my departure will affect the kids. I mean what am I to do? I could stay there and continue to be taken advantage of but I will never be fully happy. I have built some strong bonds with these kids and it would be almost negligent to just walk out on them now. Especially since some of them don’t have fathers at home and I, along with other males in their life, provide the only type of male role model that they have. I’m pretty sure that right now you’re probably thinking to yourself, “I thought Jarrett said he hated them damn kids”. Well there are a few who I won’t miss but even the kids that were a handful helped me to grow as an educator. Don’t get me wrong, I’m still taking the job, but I’ll just be doing so with a heavy heart (and fatter pockets).

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Your the most ignorant person I know! LOL I think you should throw the kids a little party. Food softens any blow...(funerals have more food than you could ever imagine or dream of!). In life there are times when our decisions affect others but in the end we have to move at a pace that fits us. I know this will be hard but its not like you are leaving for a field or job that is not going to enhance the lives of others while benefitting you at the same time. And there may come a time when you can go back and volunteer there once a week or so. Congrats. We really need to have a direct celebration for you! You have been holding your own...even on crutches and of course with the help of your Queen...